Saturday, June 16, 2018

San Isidro Updates!


Hey everyone! I’m Anna Murphy from BL!

I am at the site Hortensia and I absolutely LOVE it!! Today, I went to work scraping cement off the walls with some of my new friends. I tend to use the ‘Big Boy’ which is a huge metal pipe with a scraper on the end. It’s really fun to use. We started to work on the back wall and got so much work done. For lunch, we had rice, beans, and lettuce with pico and it was all really tasty. After lunch, it started raining and all of the missionaries went to play with all the kids that were at the school by the Church we work at. We played in an overhang for awhile to avoid the rain, but then decided to just move outside. We played  tag for a really long time and it was so muddy that we kept slipping and sliding. The kids decided it was a good idea to jump into a mud puddle from a mini hill, so we all decided to join in. It’s easy to say that we were all dripping and completely covered in mud afterwards. Omar is the man that heads the site that we work at and he started spraying us all with the hose and had a huge smile on his face. It warmed my heart to see how happy everyone was. The little kids loved to play with us, as we did them.
We have all become extremely close with the kids and our fellow missionaries and I can only imagine how much closer we will become within the next week.

Mom, Mary Grace, Claudia, and Greta- I can’t wait to see you all and tell you all about my trip! I love you guys so much and I have so much more to say. Love you all!!





Dear Mom and Dad,
I know you are probably freaking out and missing me like crazy because you haven’t seen me in a while. If you’re not, then it’s fine. I’m missing you! By the way, don’t worry. I am alive and enjoying my time in Costa Rica. Today, we had mass at 6:30 a.m. Shocking right? I woke up that early and didn’t have a problem. Then, we ate some sandwiches with rice and beans on the side. After breakfast, we went off to our worksites and helped mix and pour cement. While we were working, the cooks made us snacks, and it was so good! It was tortillas with butter on top. Then, we had lunch at 12:00, which was spaghetti, rice, and vegetables. Although I am sometimes a picky eater, everything I have eaten has been so delicious. Can we please move here?!?!?! Anyways, I love it here, and I am making a bunch of new friends. Even though the showers are freezing, I still enjoy taking them because they are so refreshing. I’ll have to continue these cold showers when I get home. Tell JP and Jasmine that I miss them, and keep thinking about them all the time. I wish they could have come as well. JP, I miss you and can’t wait to see you again, bud. I love you even though I give you such a hard time. Sister, sorry I left before I could say bye to you. Although I also give you a hard time as well, know that I love you and am praying for you all the time. Also, Thunder, please be a good dog and try not to cry too much while I am gone.  I love and miss all of  you.
Love,
Melody Ortega J
Ursuline Academy


Hello Mom and Dad,
                How is everything at home? I miss y’all so much, but I’m having so much fun here! Today we woke up at 6:00 for 6:30 mass, and then we went to breakfast. We had sandwiches, cereal, and of course, rice and beans. After breakfast we went off to our worksite, Hortencia, where we are painting/renovating a church. Today, I continued scraping paint off of the outside walls, and I painted the crown of the walls on the inside. The ladies fed us lunch which was rice, beans, salad, and a meat patty. The food here is insanely good! After lunch, the kids came to play, so we played soccer until we lost the ball over the cliff. Then we played tag and frisbee. I let one little girl play with my camera and she took some really fun pictures of the other kids! Another one even made me a friendship bracelet out of caution tape. Also, family, if you’re reading this please buy me ice cream for when I get home;) Around 3:45ish we went back to our camp, and I took one of the best cold showers of my life. Some of my other friends and I are making friendship bracelets before dinner. I love you guys so much, and will see you soon!!
Love,
Maggie Campbell
Bishop Lynch


Hello, C,C,M,M, and W,
It’s E here(: (Emily Dierks)  Things are going very well down here in Costa Rica.  I’m working at a site called Hortenzia where I’m scraping paint/cement off of a church. We will probably start painting more and covering the walls with a new cement mixture, but right now, it’s more just taking off the old to make room for the new. There are a lot of little kids that go to school for the first half of the day while we work, and then we usually get to play with them after lunch.  We usually play soccer, various versions of tag, or play with a frisbee. Today (Friday), I spoke a good amount of Spanish with the local people which was really fun for me to test out my knowledge of the language from middle school.  I surprisingly remember a lot of it and was able to hold conversations.  I was even able to grow close with two six-old-girls named Camilla and Wendy (I think that’s how their names are spelled). I’ve also been able to meet a lot of the people who are here on the mission trip with me.  I absolutely love how there are no electronics because it makes it so easy to develop truly authentic, genuine friendships with people.  A little about my daily schedule:  After we all wake up at 6:00am, we attend a chapel service, eat breakfast, go to the working site, lunch, play/work, come back to the dormitory and then take showers, hang out, eat dinner, and then have circle time before going to bed. We’re combining with the other site on Sunday which I’m really excited about!  On a little more of a serious note, leaving home has been tough for me.  I really miss my daily piano playing and dad telling me that “I’m special, and I’m beautiful” before I go to bed. Overall, I’ve adjusted well, though. I’ve gotten to sing in chapel services with some other people, and a guy named Chris brought his guitar and another guy named Tom brought his ukulele.  It’s been nice to hear music throughout the day.  It’s rained a lot too which helped me feel comfortable here and adjust to Costa Rica life.  To wrap things up… Mere, I hope you had an awesome birthday and that things are going well with regards to preparing for your big test!  Meg, I can’t wait to come back home and see you.  C&C, thank you for giving me the opportunity to go on this mission trip. I love it here, but I’m really looking forward to seeing you all again!!  I can’t wait to see you all, and I love you all so so much.

Gratefully and lovingly,
Emily Dierks
John Paul II High School


To whom it may concern,


The trip has been great and we’re doing very fulfilling work here in Costa Rica. I’m staying in San Isidro with Fr. Ambrose. Making friends with the other missionaries happened quicker than I expected. Everyone here is genuinely a good person. It honestly feels like we’re a family. I also have a great worksite at Hortensia, which is literally in the clouds. We’re renovating a church and bonding with kids at the school there. The progress that has been made is amazing and the local people were working with are amazing as well. The kids are always excited to see us when we arrive in the morning. I also love doing work on the church, whether it’s digging a trench or scraping paint off the walls, because I always get a sense a fulfillment after I’m done.  I miss my family, however, and long to pet a dog again. But there’s no need to worry as this has already been one the best experiences I’ve had in my life.

Sincerely,
Jack Corrigan
Cistercian