Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Hello from San Isidro!

Hello friends and family -

My name is Sarah Francis and I am the site lead over here in San Isidro! I am a teacher at Ursuline and a frequent traveler on these mission trips. Your kids are all doing so well and we were excited to welcome everyone who came in on the flight yesterday 6/12/18.

I think the Buenos Aires site is having connectivity problems but no news is good news, right? We will make sure you hear from your kids over there soon.

So - enough from me, you want to hear from the kids!

Sincerely,
Sarah Francis
Ursuline Academy


Hello. We just finished our first day of work at San Isidro. Our group has been split up into two separate workstations: Bamboo and Hortencia. I have been given the privilege to help fix up a church at Bamboo. Today, our main focus was digging dirt to allow us to put in a fence surrounding the church. We haven’t started putting in the fence yet, but we are looking forward to it. Along with the digging, we worked on scraping off the plaster on the outer wall. It was a long, tiring process and we were very thankful for the meal that was prepared for us. They prepared beans, rice, and sausage which tasted amazing. Day 1 of work was a success and we look forward to topping it tomorrow.
                -Matthew Wynne (Cistercian)


Greetings! From San Isidro, Costa Rica. My name is Isabella A. and I am from Bishop Dunne. Although this is my third day in Costa Rica, I haven’t felt the shock of being in an entirely different country. Aside from the cold showers and the bugs, everything has seemed pretty homey. My group arrived at San Isidro yesterday evening, so after showering and crashing last night, I was excited to work this morning. I woke up before the wake-up call and was ready to get to work. I was assigned to the Hortencia site, where we prepped a small church for painting, dug on the side of the church, moved a lot of rocks, and dug some more. My favorite part of the day was interacting with the kids, who were standing and watching us waiting to be asked to help. I feel very fortunate to be at my site where I can speak with the people and children and help others communicate with them as well. Overall, the day was hard work, but it was productive and I am pleased with our work. I hope that the coming days are filled with just as much joy and interaction and I am very excited for what God has in store for us in this next week and a half. I know I will miss my family and those who I am usually around, but I have already formed good relationships with the student missionaries and some of the people from Costa Rica and I hope to keep building those friendships.
To my parents at home who are probably anxious because I cant sent my usual “arrived” and “I’m okay” texts: I’m doing well, I’m okay, and the food is great here. I love you all and I hope to see you soon.
Also, Dad, Happy Early Father’s Day. J

Isabella Arpero (Bishop Dunne)