Wednesday, June 13, 2018

6/13/2018 San Isidro


Hi! My name is Marina Barraco and I’m a rising senior from Ursuline Academy. Today 6/13/2018, we woke up at 6:00am and went to 6:30 mass in a small chapel on the San Isidro site. We then went to breakfast where we were served plantains, rice, beans, and bread. Afterwards we were asked to travel to our sites, mine being Bamboo. Once arriving at Bamboo, a small church site, we were asked to continue our previous work from the last day. I started off the workday by brushing off moss from the walls behind the church. I made sure to take water breaks every fifteen minutes because of the hot weather. Afterwards, I went and scraped plaster from a brick wall and dug trenches in the ground behind the church so bricks could be placed inside. After a while we were called to eat lunch and were served rice, beef and vegetables, plantains, and some type of pasta. After lunch I went back behind the church and made sure that the dirt was leveled. In addition, I made foundations using beams until it began to rain so I had to stop. Because of the rain we had to go back inside and started to play mafia. The ladies were nice enough to provide us with rice pudding to eat while it rained. After a long work day, we finally returned home and cleaned up to begin our evening.

To my family: I already miss you all so much but am having an amazing time here in Costa Rica! I also want to wish Dad a happy father’s day since I won’t be there to celebrate. Love you guys!

Marina Barraco
Ursuline Academy



                Hello to all of the people reading this. This is Chris Ivie, rising Senior at Bishop Dunne. It is just about 8:00 pm here and boy do I have the angriest cramps right now! Playing guitar at the masses has truly been blessing and I am so happy that I am providing all of my talents for the Costa Ricans' disposal. Costa Rica is hands down the most beautiful country ever! The amount of friends that I have made and the people that I have met has truly touched me in so many different ways. Ultimately when I came into this, I wondered what God was truly calling me to do. I understand that He chose me as we as the others to serve, all with our different purposes. It wasn’t until we all sat down and we all talked for the first time that I found what my duty is. I am to work until my hands and knees give out, serving God as much as I possibly can. It is when you are at your weakest points that you find the greatest strength. I can’t tell you how appreciative I am of everything that I have at home (especially a cold bedroom)! Today, June 13 of 2018, me and some of the other missionaries talked about how it is up to us to live up to our faith no matter what your background is. I think that it is in the midst of true simplicity that we find the beauty of everything. I know that my family is reading this chat board every day, waiting for me to write. So to my family; Caden, you are probably one of my biggest inspirations with all of your hardships and pain that you have persevered through. Theran, I know you are keeping my bed warm and waiting for me to come swimming. Mom, I want you to know that God will always put me on the right path. Dad, you need to know how grateful I am for all of the suffering that you have been through just trying to give our family the best life we can live. As a whole, I love y’all more than y’all will ever know. Thank you to those who read this completely, and my God Bless you!

Chris Ivie
Bishop Dunne Catholic School