Monday, June 18, 2018

Buenos Aires #13

From Isabella Franco JPII:

Feliz Día de los Padres!

This trip has honestly been amazing. Everyday we (Buenos Aires) have mass around 6:00 PM but today was very different as it was our reunion/excursion day. This meant that we were able to reunite with our loved ones that were at San Isidro and have a resting day.

As I woke up this morning I heard the lovely singing of one of our chaperones as we started the day early to take a bus to San Isidro, which is around 45 minutes away. As we arrived to San Isidro we had an early 8:00 AM mass at the Cathedral with the people of Costa Rica. Our masses have been very different because they’re in Spanish, which has honestly taught me a lot. I have learned how to say some of the mass prayers and songs in Spanish.

We then headed over to Nauyaca Waterfall, which was absolutely gorgeous. The drive there consisted of the beautiful clear outline of the mountains and green jungle. As we got closer to the waterfall we heard the noise of the water as the peaceful nature relaxed us. We later swam in the waterfall as a group and it was super cold, but refreshing. We of course took many pictures and I can’t wait to show them too y’all. We ended our day back at San Isidro as we were surprised with a Fiesta that was thrown by the local diocese. They made us home made chocaron which lead us to dancing to the marimba and learning a traditional Costa Rican dance. I met many new friends as I dance and was also taught how to salsa by one of the Cistercian boys. As this super fun interaction with both the people of Costa Rica and our group had just began it was time for Buenos Aires to leave and come back. As we came back we were then surprised by letters of our loved ones which inspired me to write tonight.

Mom and Dad,

I just wanted to thank you so much for sacrificing and allowing me to go on this trip. I have learned more about my faith and have had the opportunity to meet many new people. The people of Costa Rica have been so welcoming and have allowed me to learn that we need to service more people in this world and become a more kind and care country.

Much love,
Isabella Franco