Sunday, June 17, 2018

Buenos Aires #11

From Brandon Zimmer, Cistercian:

Hey, Mom and Dad. I’ve been having an amazing time here in Costa Rica.  Some how I don’t feel as if I’m in a new country, but that’s only because It’s so similar to California. The mountains, the Spanish, the food, the people all remind me of my time in Fillmore (except for all the rain), and I feel at home.  I’ve been getting at lot better at Spanish so I’ll be ready to speak to you only in Spanish when we get back.  We’ve been mostly painting the community center in a small town not far from Buenos Aires.   Right next to that building is a field where we play soccer with the kids from the town. The rumor is that that field is actually the training center for Navas, a professional goalie. The town actually assembled the best players they had and challenged us. We beat them 3-0.  I’ve made some friends with some of the locals and have tried my best to learn their stories. It’s humbling to hear the hardships they had to go through.  The chaperones have done an amazing job at making the trip a great spiritual experience. At first the days seemed to go on forever (in a good way) but now seem to go by fast. I don’t want to forget any minute of it.

Love,
Brandon