Saturday, June 15, 2019

Marta

Hello family,
I think I have gained 10 pounds. Everywhere we go they always feed us. Do not get me wrong, I love the food, but I literally have never eaten more in my entire life. Everything is so delicious here! Mom, thank you so much for pushing me to come on this trip. I have met so many wonderful people who have helped me develop a deeper relationship with God. When I speak Spanish, in which I am getting more confident, it is easier to speak to the kids than the adults. The light switch is slowly turning on and I hope by the end it will be on completely. The food here is delicious. Best pineapple and mango ever! I have tried so many wonderful things here. From learning how to make cement, make candy and to learning how to play a guitar; I only know two cords. At the work cite, we are building a roof as well as a ramp. During the day we work in the morning and in the afternoon, we play with the children. We attend mass every morning, so be prepared to go to more Masses when I get back. One of the women at the work site reminds me of Grandma Edith, kind of looks like her also; well the only details I remember from grandma. She is an excellent cook, as well as the kindest and most humble person ever. I think she is going to be the hardest to say goodbye to. When I am with her, and I am helping make food, it feels like grandma is with me again. I never had the real delicacy of grandma teaching me how to cook or trying her cooking, but when I am with her, I am so happy. We do have a language barrier at times that we are both working on. I am teaching her some English and she is helping with my Spanish. Also, she taught me how to crochet! I remember mom telling me that grandma knew how to crochet and I feel a little more connected to grandma. At the work site, I have taught children and some moms how to make bracelets and that was really fun. At first it was hard because I did not know some words in Spanish but I quickly adjusted and it went very well. One of the workers at the work site laughed when I told him I was Puerto Rican because I look too white. I have tons of pictures and videos that I cannot wait to show you guys when I get home. I have met the best people in the entire world here! Tell Laura that I really enjoyed her letter and she made me cry. I was not expecting that. Tell her I love her and really appreciate it. Tell dad I have some funny stories to tell him when I get home and that I miss him. Tell him I love him like 20 rocks. Tell Emma that I miss her too and that she would laugh about how many people have called me white on this trip. I have never had more rice and beans in my entire life and literally every time I eat them they get better and better. OMG mom and Laura, I am taking home the BEST coffee ever! It is so delicious! Did you know a car here is only 80 dollars! I am tempted, lol. I hope work is going well for all of y’all. Hope the dogs are good. I miss them all. I love y’all so so so so much. I honestly can’t wait to see y’all; I will cry. I hope every single one of you are at the airport when I get back! I realize that I do have a little separation anxiety from you guys.

Love,
Marta :)