Sunday, June 18, 2017

UPDATE! Tepeyac 6/18/2017 - Happy Father's Day!


Sitting on the porch at Tepeyac wondering what to blog about, I looked out at the landscape and the flora surrounding our retreat center and was reminded of the stark contrast between the concrete jungle of Dallas and the jungles of Nicaragua. Everything here in Tepeyac and the surrounding rural communities seems to be formed by the natural environment. The people live off of the land. If someone wants a snack, they pick a mango or avocado from a nearby tree. Nature is not just a source of beauty for the locals; rather, it is a critical part of their survival. This reliance on and connection with nature reflects the pure and devout faith of the people. On the first day of our mission work, my group visited the home of a ninety-year-old lady. Fr. Ambrose asked her how many people lived in her home and her response was that she was “alone with God.” Back home in Dallas, it is easy to forget the importance of faith in everyday life since most of us never want for food, water, shelter, air-conditioning, stable infrastructure, safety, electricity, or whatever luxury that we often take for granted. For many people here, faith is a necessity. Along with the faith and nature of Nicaragua, I love the peaceful slow lifestyle and the joy of the people. Today we played a huge game of soccer with both camps of missionaries and a large number of Nicaraguans. Regardless of victory or defeat, the locals and the missionaries were united in the joy of sport. Nicaragua is a beautiful place with beautiful people. Happy Father’s day to all the fathers of the missionaries. All of us wish we could be there for Father’s day.                                                                                                             
Love you Mom and Dad.
Matthew Sawtelle, Cistercian class of 2019




To my Dad, who I miss very much here at Tepeyac, Happy Father’s Day! Even though I’m currently (very) far away, know I’m thinking about you! I wanted to blog mainly to tell my loved ones that I’m thinking of them and I miss them all, but I also wanted to share my experience thus far. I’ve had the most amazing and beautiful time, and I’m so grateful for my family and Bishop Burns for the opportunity to meet and know the people and culture of Nicaragua.
It’s impossible to not fall in love with the community here and to truly see the presence of God in them. The children are the most genuine and purest people I’ve ever been blessed to meet. I was able to create a very special relationship with a young girl named Esther. She immediately touched my heart and I fell in love with her, even with the language barrier. I gave her my cross today (and cried while doing so) because she asked for it as something to remember me by. We danced and laughed and sang together and with her family. Not only have I made special connections with the native Nicaraguans but also the missionaries in my camp. My roommate, Natalie, is wonderful and kind, and I could go on and on about the other missionaries here as well. I’ve made many special relationships here that I know will last a lifetime.
To my friends and family: Mom and Dad I love and miss you so much. I found the pictures you hid in my backpack and I teared up. They’re all hanging above my bed. Michael, I miss you the most. Please know I’m thinking of y’all constantly! (But still having so much fun!) I can’t wait to see everyone again and share my experience with you! I’ve had the time of my life and I love you all! Please keep me and the community of Nicaragua in your prayers.
God Bless,
Claire Shelton


Lorraine King: Tepeyac
First of all – Happy Father’s Day, Daddy! I love you! I wish I could celebrate with you, but if it’s any consolation, I’m out of the continent and I’m still thinking about you.
Hey Mom – the notes you left in my bag have been entertaining to find; don’t worry, I heeded your warnings and have yet to drink any tap water (*knocks on wood*). ;) Dear Livie, girl you can’t imagine how many times I wish I had my phone to show someone a picture or a meme or a funny video. Don’t take it for granted.
Y’all, I know we complain about Texas heat but like, at least we ain’t drippin’ sweat most of the time! (Or at least most of us aren’t haha.) I know sometimes I can be a pain around the house while practicing my Spanish, but believe me, it’s definitely paid off. I made a friend on Wednesday with Father Ambrose when a guy named Pedro invited us to his house to see their fields and meet his family! Y’all…they gave us MANGOS as gifts when we told them we had to get back to the church. Everyone here is unbelievably nice. You know how people honk to get you out of the way in Texas? Here, people honk to say hi! Haha it’s great. You feel like everyone is your friend. Even though you can’t flush toilet paper because you know…plumbing, I feel like I could live here happily.
It’s phenomenal down here, y’all, I wish you could see it and experience it with me. Today, we get to see the people from Diria because we split up from them on the first day. I really miss a few of them... ;) and can’t wait to exchange stories.
Anyways, I can’t wait to see y’all again. I also can’t wait to eat a burger and fries and take a hot shower again! I love y’all and miss y’all. Hasta la vista.

Katie Picha
Bishop Dunne 2018
                Happy Father’s Day Dad J And, to family and friends back home, I miss you and am thinking about you and praying for you. Today I realized how much I really do miss home. It’s been easy so far to focus on what’s happening here and now, but that quickly changes when we are given time to reflect on who and what we left behind. So far, one of the main things I have learned is that as soon as we drop our selfish desires, we are able to love others fully and enjoy moments in utter happiness and joy. This week has been full of new encounters, whether that be with people or nature.
                To say that Nicaragua is beautiful would be quite an understatement. Each day, we have been able to walk (a lot) and I constantly find myself tripping over my feet because I am looking up at the landscape rather than where I’m walking. I can’t help but stare everywhere we go because of the sheer magnificence of the nature. I have never seen a place so green (and wet might I add). Pictures never quite do justice to beauty like this.
                Aside from the nature, it has been the beauty of the culture and the people that has left me truly speechless. Each day we are invited into the homes of Nicaraguans and are blessed to be able to hear their stories and share the love of God with each one. I have never met so many people with such strong faith. Right now, my heart is overwhelmed with a new feeling of love; one that is built and strengthened through vulnerability, faith, and pure joy. This love is so incredibly strong, and I can confidently say that I am full of happiness every second of this trip. The students I am with, next to the Nicaraguans, are some of the best people I have ever met and I wouldn’t trade the friendships from Tepeyac and memories for anything in the world. Keep us in your prayers as we continue on our journey and are filled more with grace and love.

Katie Picha
Bishop Dunne 2018