Thursday, June 15, 2017

Diria Posts - 6/14

Note: These entries were written on 6/14.

Colten P.  (Diria)
Well I mean this place is really different from the US the people here just give of this great sense of joy and love for other people. Today (Wednesday) started off with a wake up song at 6:30 by none other than Mr. Brandt and then it was breakfast. After that we all got ready for the day, we got on the bus and drove to a small church called La Accucion de Maria, then we broke up into 3 groups and started walking around the community. We were welcomed by everyone we met, everyone was nice and happy to see us and it was really cool to see that these people that had never seen us before are letting us into their homes and letting us meet their families. Later we went back to the church and had lunch then we started to play soccer with the children from around the village that we invited to come play and go to mass with us. We played for like 2 hours and I was dead because we played so long. I met some really nice people and had a really good day. Have fun at home @mom and dad and tell Brynna and Alayna I said hi.

Kim  G. (Diria)
     Hi everyone! These past few days in Nicaragua have been full of singing, dancing, and making friendship bracelets. Although these activities are very fun, I can’t help but feel very homesick. I miss you Mom, Dad, Bean, and Elizabeth! & I want you to know that I think about all of you constantly.  Other than that, so far my favorite thing that we have done is walk around the small village of Diria. While on this walk, we saw a beautiful lake where many pictures were taken. After this we ate lunch and rode a bus to a nearby church, where we met up with the Tepeyac group. At the church, we saw many traditional dances performed by the locals and afterwards we all did a bit of dancing and singing, which created a very energetic environment. Besides this, I would like to say that I am having a great time experiencing new things. I love you Mom, Dad, Bean, and Elizabeth. See you in 6 days!

Antonia H. (Diria)
It has been an unpredictable few days in Nicaragua and it’s almost too hard to describe. The first day I bet everyone felt homesick in this new place we’d call home for 10 days but after a while, we started to warm up (literally) to the idea of living in Nicaragua. For the most part the missioners’ writing so far has summed up the life of Nicaragua. Today was the day when we got to meet the people of Diria and interact with the children. Three different groups split up inviting locals to the 4:30 mass we were hosting as well as inviting young children to an arts and crafts time at 2:00 before the mass. Everyone we came across was so nice and welcoming. While my group was walking past a food vender, Colten had looked at one of the snacks asking Ms. Molina what they were. As we went on a few feet past the vender, our guide told us that she had bought the snacks for us to try. They were delicious. The people of Nicaragua are true examples of seeing God in others.  I thought of them as smiling with their eyes showing absolute gratitude of our presence. During the crafts time, many kids showed up to partake in coloring activities, bracelet making, and soccer. I have almost zero experience of the Spanish language but I found that smiling to all of the kids told them that I was glad to be there with them. I can’t wait for another day with them to build relationships even with the language differences. Pray for us for the rest of our journey.
P.S. Hey moms, I hope you’re having fun on your vacation. When you get home, love on Latte (my Chihuahua) for me. Also tell Bryan that I miss him and love him. Don’t worry, I’m staying safe and I’m having a good time. I love you guys so much I can’t wait to see you guys, Bryan and Latte at the airport!

Jason F. (Diria)
Rice Goes with Everything… Plantains anyone??
                It’s very different here. It has taught me and many others to ask for “un poco mas” of rice, since it will make anything taste good. We also have a very fair share of plantains. On the second day, we had a choice of one for all three meals. After that, most of us will not be eating them for a few days. However, whatever food they make, we take and thank graciously for, since we know the trouble they take, and we’re hungry. The people and country are amazing here.
Even though we’ve been gone for three days (at the time of writing), it doesn’t feel like it. It’s a very different experience from anything, and we love it. No one has phones, which is surprisingly liberating; we’re now forced to talk to people. The country itself is very beautiful. Anywhere you look, you’ll always find a beautiful flower in the midst of the course forests. It’s kind of like the faith here. Here, you look anywhere and see poverty and seemingly miserable ways of living, however, you see the flowers everywhere, whether it is a little cute kid that gives you a smile as you drive buy in a large bus, or the happiness some of them have meeting us. It is truly incredible how much love there is in such an harsh climate. The people have so little, yet, they give almost everything.
                We are strangers to them, in our minds; however, they don’t see us like that. They treat us like family, giving all they can to please us. A great example was today. We went to one of the local chapels of the area. As we split up into 3 different small groups in the morning, we were able to see how much they lack. You don’t need to be good at Spanish to see the simplicity of their living standards. We all invited them to join us at 2 for games and coloring, and mass at 4:30. When we came back, it was around noon, so we needed lunch. These people took so much of what they had, just to feed us and make us feel welcomed. Giving a generous plate to each one of us, they served themselves last. It is truly the work of God and they will definitely be the first in my prayers. I hope that you will keep them in your prayers as well as us.
                In terms of Cistercian, the guys are really embracing everything. We’ve started to sit with different people and talk (for once).  Diego, Joe, Ethan, Patrick, and Matthew were split from us at a different location, Tepayac. Everyone’s Spanish is not very good, except Jose and the Spanish major (Fr. Aug). It is actually quite impressive how much he knows, he was able translate a spanish homily into English on the spot at the local big church. Diria, in my opinion, is better, the group as well as the amenities. We’re having a great time and do not worry about us.  Matthew, John, Roland, Jose, and I send “a ginormous hug (Fr. Aug).
P.S. Hi mom, I hope everything is going well. Make sure you turn off the power like you said you were going. Make sure Chris gets out of the house at least twice. Zach, make sure you bought what I told you to buy and rank me up. Hope Ben and Dad have a good trip at Creighton!

Caleigh B. (Diria)
It’s been a very different past three days but I’m very glad I decided to come on this trip it seems like it’s going to be quite the adventure. Once we got off the plane I automatically felt the hot humidity so my hair is very frizzy (mom you were right). Then we went to a chicken restaurant and had fried chicken and fries and said bye to Catherine, Kaitlyn, and Theresa. When I got to the retreat site I was very pleasantly surprised to see how nice and well taken care of the convent was. We each got out own individual rooms and bathrooms which was very exciting. Me and Kate have been together the whole time though and everyone keeps making fun of us so I think we’re going to be separated at the worksite today L It’s very hot all the time without any A/C so the cold showers feel really nice. Yesterday we played some board games during the day and even picked mangos off the tree. It was so cool! There’s mangos everywhere and they taste so good. The bananas here are also a lot better than at home. We have coffee here too so that’s definitely a relief. We went on a walk yesterday to the lake and it is so pretty! All of the little houses here are painted so colorfully and the people here are all so nice to us. We went to village later in the day for a Spanish mass so I was very confused most of the time but the Nicaraguan people danced their traditional dances for us and it was really cool. We danced with the kids after mass and they are all sooo cute. The people here are so poor which really surprised me but they still remain happy and always smiling. One lady at mass randomly came up and hugged me and smiled and I was so touched because she looked so grateful that I was here to help her and her family. Then we went back to the camp for dinner and showers. Today were going to the worksite for the first time so I’m really excited to see what we do! It’s way more fun here than I thought it would be so thank you mom and dad for letting me go it’s such a fun experience and I have already learned so much. It makes me much more grateful for everything I have at home. I miss you guys a lot though and I’ll see you soon. I hope your all having fun in Dallas and tell the twins and Dominic I say good luck on all their sport games! Love and miss you all so much!!

P.S. Jack I hope my streaks are ok, I think I’m having phone withdraws.