Saturday, June 17, 2017

Diria - 6/16

Angela T. (Diria)
Hello family and friends! Sorry I haven’t written anything I’m just having too much fun !!! J The first few days I got here were a little awkward considering I only knew the BL people. But quickly I became closer with other girls (aka Alexis, Abby, Morgan, Kim, Kasey and many more) and by day 3 I had made all these new friendships.
Today we went to a new community in a small town called Granadia. This community we went into today was different from the one we went to the past 2 days. The people in this town were NOT SHY at all. The kids had a blast playing soccer, volleyball, making bracelets, and coloring. I made a bracelet for a little girl named Maria Belen and she was the cutest thing because she kept staring at me at Mass. (: Another girl that really stood out to me was Junielica. Although she wasn’t the nicest (especially to Roland and Kasey) she was nice to Marifer, Alexis, and I. We would talk about boys and sing and have a good time. I felt that she was already one of my best friends (don’t get jealous Jessica). The best part was when she said Marifer, Alexis, and I were the prettiest girls there lol! Overall it’s been the best week of my life and I will miss this place when I leave L

John H. (Diria)
Hey everyone, John’s here (finally).  Although we’ve only been here for 5 days, it really feels like our home.  Although I still miss the amenities of home (hot showers, AC, clean towels) I know that I will miss this place (and my new friends) as soon as we leave. 
Today we started walking through a small town called Granadia.  Following the pattern from the previous two days, we trekked through the village.  We had 4 little girls as guides (from about 12 to 3 years old), who continuously had to wait for us after we fell behind going up and down steep paths through the jungle.  The people from Granadia had much less than the previous town, but it seemed like they were much more grateful for our company.  I talked to this old man who lived alone (with my excellent Spanish of course).  He was in his 80’s and still worked all-day as a broom maker.  He joked that he was skinny because he was sick the week before, but that hard work had made him strong.  He had this really cool tan horse, and I asked to take a picture with him and the beast.  I don’t think I will ever forget it. 
After we had finished inviting the community to join us in activities and games for the kids and then later mass for everyone, we sat down for lunch (prepared by the women of the village).  Even after 3 days of it, I am still so grateful for their hospitality.  They obviously don’t have much, but what the little they do have, they give it without hesitation, almost always asking if we want more.  There was this huge tree with tons of mangos, and I had about 6.  (If I get sick it was totally worth it.)  I also played soccer with the children and helped with the arts and crafts.  We had mass in this thatch roof “chapel”, but it was really just a single thatch wall with some wood poles and a roof.  Even the kids playing soccer and shouting right next to it, the Spanish, and the distraction of the bugs, it was probably the coolest mass I have ever been to. 
I’m really having a great time here, and I want the next half of the trip to be even better than the first.
P.S.  I miss all my family and friends at home, and I hope you’re not having too much fun without me.  Mom, I really wasn’t some ice cream right now, so we’re going when I get back.
   
Adriana C. (Diria)
It has been an incredible experience for me in Nicaragua; the people are generous and loving which made me think of home. I have talked to many schools and I have made friends through friendship bracelet making. The community is different than home, I don’t remember the last time I walked four miles to arrive at my destination, but besides the walking  it worth it because I spoke  to some of the girls. We walked around neighborhoods on the June 14th and 15th, we talked to each person individually to bring their kids to play soccer, make crafts and attend mass. It was difficult to say goodbye but I know each sector will get better and better as we continue to travel.

Alexis M. (Diria)

It honestly feels so unreal being here in Nicaragua. It’s so much fun, I’ve made so many new friends, and I braid 2-3 or even more hair each day. I’ve also made some friends here in Nicaragua. Tuesday and Wednesday was our first work days. On Tuesday we walked around house to house talking to the members of the community. I even spoke Spanish to one of the Families but I messed up but I corrected it, it was kind of funny. After we finished walking we went back to the church we met up at and we ate. The people of the community cooked food for us. I think that is so amazing because they have so little but they give us all they have. After eating we started to make crafts with the kids and families that were coming in and we also played a very heated game of soccer. Then we ended the day of with mass. On Wednesday the same thing happened but we walked in a different area and it was raining a lot. After we walked we came back to the church and had a wonderful meal. I met so many wonderful kids while playing games. I gave the two bracelets I made to Linda and Nicole, and took pictures with them. Also another lady wanted to take a picture with me so I did and we also took a selfie, that was fun.  I also met the cutest little boy and his name was Henry and I took a picture with him too. I can’t wait to meet the families again today at the other community we are going to. This trip has been amazing so far I can’t wait to see what else it brings.