Sunday, June 18, 2017

Diria - 6/18

Adriana C. (Diria)
Hey dad happy father’s day, I hope it has been a great day for you so far. I still remember the time in kindergarten when I made that hand print t-shirt for you; I miss you all deeply and I hope Dj and Martin are doing well. Mom I miss you, everything you packed for me was a blessing because I used just about everything throughout the trip. I thank you for doing so much for me; no words can explain all the wonder things you do for me. Tell Daniel that I miss him and it was strange not talking to him, since we talk constantly. I know he would have enjoyed seeing all the kids play soccer, I wish you were here.  It has been an adventure out here, yesterday the kids ran aggressively up and down the field, I was benchwarmer of course but found out they had no benches, it was ok the dirt wasn’t so bad after all. We have mass everyday with the community and I believe has brought me closed to God. Mom tell Tia Fina  we have to go eat at her house when I get home, I would love to see everybody with me and all my cousins. I love and miss all of you.

Jack K. (Diria)

It’s a party down here. After being a part of a group of students, chaperones, and Nicaraguan locals that recruits members of jungle Church communities to go to whatever mass we might be hosting for four days now, I’d say that what shocks me the most about the Nicaraguan people is the way that their almost universally happy and upbeat attitudes and outlooks on life directly contradict the destitute poverty most of them have been living in for their entire lives. These people are happier in their 3 ½ walled, tin roofed, bug infested homes than we are in our North Texas houses. Immediately, it wouldn’t make sense that the forgotten citizens of a third – world country could enjoy life more than the rest of us could as Americans, but nothing at all about the way that this country works really makes a whole lot of sense, as most of the days (like today) we wake up without a direct plan, and just “Go where God takes us”, so I guess anything can really happen down here. Also, I did specifically choose Father’s day to type in my entry for the trip so I could wish my Dad a happy Father’s Day, I feel guilty for not being in Plano to celebrate it with you this year Dad, but I got you a card that I think makes up for my absence. Mom, I’ve had two cups of coffee every day at breakfast here, and about every other day we get Coke to drink with dinner, so the “Caffeine issue” was never going to be an issue in the first place, and the dogs here all look like hyenas, so I’m not even tempted to pet any of them, and at this point, I’ve been totally healthy for the entirety of the trip. Most importantly however, I’d like to wish my little brother Jeb, who’ll be turning 10 tomorrow, when the word on the street is we’re going to have a pretty busy day and the connection here is already spotty at best. Happy Birthday buddy, happy Father’s day Dad, I’m ok Mom, and a massive thank you to all of my family and friends who made it possible for me to get down here, please do say hi to Julianne and to the dogs for me. I’ll be back before long.