Friday, June 16, 2017

Diria - 6/15

Kate H. (Diria)
These past three days have been so much fun, but it is very different from our first Nicaragua trip. We are staying in a convent and we all each get our own rooms and bathrooms. Also it is only a short drive to where we work instead of two hours. I have met so many wonderful children at the work sites and have been practicing my Spanish so much. I realize I know more Spanish than I thought going into this trip. At the work sites we stop by many houses telling the families who we are, why we are here, and tell them about the mass we will be having later in the day. Then after walking from house to house we go back to the church in the community we work, eat lunch, than wait for the families to come. I have met the sweetest children and have really enjoyed my small conversations that I can have with them in Spanish. I have made so many bracelets for all the little girls and then attempt to teach them how to make them. I also have met so many new friends from the other schools and it is crazy how nice all the people here are. I have had a wonderful time here with all the children in the community and the missionaries I have met and hope the rest of the trip is as amazing. I love you guys and I can’t wait to see ya’ll in a week!

Caleigh B. (Diria)
Today has probably been my favorite day in Nicaragua so far because I really began to see relationships forming with the local people here. It has been so shocking to see how they live everyday and the struggles that they endure. I am lucky to have met these people and am very excited to meet more soon. Yesterday and today I was at a local community walking to every “house” (more of a shack with no power or water made of materials they have found locally) in hopes to inspire them to join us that evening at mass. They all welcomed us into their homes and were open to the idea of joining us. My Spanish definitely needs work and talking to the kids was definitely a struggle but they were all so nice to me and they colored me pictures while we were doing crafts and I thought it was so cute. The Spanish speakers here have been so helpful and I have actually manages to have a few very short successful conversations in Spanish. It’s been such an amazing experience and definitely a good way to start 17. I missed Nannie’s birthday call though but this is for sure birthday I will never forget. The other missionaries here at the camp are also so nice it’s crazy they are always offering to take my dishes and get water so hopefully some of their generosity can rub off on me. I can’t wait to meet more friends and strengthen the friendships I have. My faith and character is definitely growing. I miss you all so much though and can’t wait to tell you all the details when I get back. Love you guys and I’m so excited to see you in 7 days!

Roland L. (Diria)
The past 3 days in Nicaragua have really been an eye opener for me. I thought I would be ready for all the obstacles that Nicaragua would throw at me. Whether it was the poverty I would see, the humidity I would have to deal with, or the new people I would have to meet (whether  they were Nicaraguan or not). In simpler terms, the first day of Nicaragua was a rude awakening. Yet as each day goes by the short time I have spent with the people here has really been something special. There is a genuineness that this trip brings out in everyone. At first everybody is in their little shell, yet over time people are willing to jump into the unknown. Because of this everyone is more open to one another, forgetting any prejudices they might have had before the trip. So far I have loved my stay in Nicaragua. The convent we are staying at is basically a resort, the food is really really good (rice with ketchup), and our missionairy work has been pretty successful so far. Mom’s and Dad’s I love and miss you guys so much, the spiritual guidance as well as the ability to approach certain situations has been really helpful so far. Ivanna there are a lot of kids here that you would have so much fun playing with. Jake you are a pretty cool dude I hope you are having lots of fun without me jaja. See everybody soon!

Emma B. (Diria)

So far, this experience has truly opened my eyes. While we may think of poverty a certain way back home, nothing in the US will ever compare to this. Although these people have so little, they have opened their hearts to us, and have been so generous. I cannot get over the amount of generosity and kindness I have seen here, and I’m going to miss that back in Dallas. Just walking through the streets on the second day, complete strangers sitting in their doorways were waving and saying hello to us. As we walked through the communities yesterday, people we had never even met welcomed us into their homes, and it was even better when they were able to come to mass later. Yesterday, when many of the children had arrived, we set up a huge soccer game that went on for hours. Paige, if you’re reading this, you would’ve had some competition at that game, these kids are really good at soccer. Hi mom, Paige, and dad, I miss you so so so much, and tell all the pets I say hi! Love you!!!