Thursday, June 15, 2017

Diria Posts - Tuesday 6/13

Note: These posts were written on the evening of June 13.

Kasey L. (Diria)
Wow! It’s been a crazy almost 48 hours so far. We started out with the first quick flight and then all found a big section and everyone just spread out. It was funny because almost everyone from JPII fell asleep all spread out on the floor while the other schools were up doing stuff and playing games. Onto the second flight where it was bumpier than the first but we made it. Once we got off, you could feel a different vibe than in America. It was fascinating to see how many people could fit into one area and everyone feel so normal. I would have been so claustrophobic! Once we got to the retreat center, we started to unpack and unload all of our stuff. Our rooms are very small but they are nice. The ladies here had given us some sheets and a pillow but I decided to use mine because they smelt like home. The morning of the second day was really pretty because it was raining all night and everyone was refreshed. It continued to rain throughout the morning but then stopped in the afternoon. We had our first set of walking which was 2 miles. We walked up to a lake type thing and took group pictures and then walked back. I had walked a total of 5 miles yesterday and got more than my 10,000 steps! Dad I’m going to beat you when I get back! The food has been mostly rice and beans but they are including other foods that I have never heard of. Yes mom, I am trying them and not being difficult. It’s time for JPII to go eat so I have to sign off. I really miss home though.
P.S. Mom don’t worry I am taking LOTS of pictures and I will make sure to continue to. Everyone I miss you a ton and can’t wait to see you guys. Tell Cooper hi from me! The first thing I want once we get home is Whataburger(: I love you guys so so so much and I hope to see you soon! Love-Kas

Carter P. (Diria)
So much has happened since we left. Each day seems to last so long and we are never running out of things to do.  Our first day was mostly spent setting up the rooms and meeting each other. After a whole lot of struggling and calling people by the wrong names Roland, Abby and I made a list of all the students and chaperones along with what school they went to. Then yesterday we all got to go to the community where we will be working and to celebrate mass with them and we got to meet up again with the people that went to Tepeyac!!! They put on a few Nicaraguan dances for us which was really fun and we all got to see how tight knit their community was. After that, mass was a struggle but I had Kiker translate the important parts to me. One amazing thing though was how excited everyone was to be at mass. Everyone was smiling and clapping along with every song and it was so cool to look around and see the joy in all of their faces. After mass we went to an party with all the Nicaraguan children. We even got to give song requests so Despacito was played so now it will probably be stuck in our heads again for the rest of the trip. We headed home and had dinner which btw all the food here is phenomenal. Its not just beans and rice everyday but we are getting stuff like steak, chicken and ham omelets. That is what has shocked me the most about this trip. I feel like I have already been gone for a week and miss yall. Love you all and cant wait to see yall again. Please keep us all in your prayers as today we are going out and starting to help in the community.
P.S. Make sure to record the Finals for me #CAVSIN7 ;)

Katie S. (Diria)
I could type A LOT, so I’ll try to keep this not too long. We arrived in Houston pretty early on Monday – I would say about 6 something. We then took a plane to Managua and arrived around noon ish. When we stepped off the plane, it was like we were entering a whole different world. We went through customs and got our travel visas, and then picked up all of our many bags. What followed was a bus ride to “Pollos Frit,” which is basically KFC in Nicaragua. It was really good! Then we went to our camps and got settled. Diria is gorgeous! We are living at a retreat center with a convent nearby. Being in the heart of the town, we can see – and hear – many of the local people as well as the chickens and dogs that are roaming around. Monday was essentially for acclimating and getting to know those in our camp. Don’t worry about bugs or safety too much. Every room at Diria has a lock, and we have sprayed the facility in addition to having mosquito netting over all of the open windows. Tuesday has been more of getting a feel for our mission. We attended Mass at our facility and later at Padre Eric’s parish. The locals performed various traditional dances for us, and then we attended Mass again – this time in Spanish. Mass was followed by a gigantic dance party. It has been so much fun! Please keep us in your prayers as we start our mission and meet with the Nicaraguan community.

P.S. Hi, Mom, Dad, Joe, and Grandma! It’s great here, and I hope none of you – especially you, Mom – are worrying too much. We are in great hands here and serving the Lord. I love and miss you all!