Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Emily Vo

Dear Friends and Family,
It is so beautiful here in Costa Rica. All of the students split off into the four working sites.
Already I’ve heard many different stories from the other work sites. The work ranged from planting
gardens in front of churches to working to build a handicap ramp. I was at the Guadalupe site where our tasks consisted of helping to renovate a church and, my most favorite part, playing with the school children just down the road. We were given a tour around the local school where we got to see their organic greenhouse and hiked up a hill to eat fresh fruits like mangoes, oranges, and starfruit. We also worked very hard at the church by cutting wires, moving cedar blocks, and digging in the dirt to help expand the floors. I really loved getting to know the other students on the mission trip and bonding with them while we helped to serve the community at Guadalupe. We also met lots of kids today: Benjamin, Nico, and Matias. All of whom loved to play soccer and basketball with us. Lunch was also amazing! Extremely kind women cooked delicious chicken and rice as well as salad and sweet guava juice. The food here in Costa Rica has already been incredible and I think everyone is looking forward to the rest of the trip to see what we will eat next. Overall, today was such an exhausting yet rewarding experience which I think I can say for the rest of the students and chaperones. We got to work with the locals as well as enjoy our time here in such a beautiful country. I cannot even imagine what the rest of the trip will be like but I am so excited for what’s next. Pura vida!

Sincerely,
Emily Vo