Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Helen Kalleb

Dear Friends and Family,

Hi guys! Mom and dad, you were probably concerned because you hadn’t heard from me yet,
but here I am blogging! This trip has been so amazing! Costa Rica is filled with beautiful views, nature, and people. I am one of the lucky missionaries that is working at Quebradas. Today was our last official day of work! The morning was focused on finishing what needed to be finished. During the time before lunch, we completed painting the church, its exterior, the attached rooms of the church, and the fences of the site. During the time before lunch I usually love to help cook food like I did for breakfast today, but Mrs. Almaredo (one of the super cool chaperones) made these amazing noodles and the two wonderful ladies that consistently cooked for us: Mercedes and Lorena at the site helped make it as well as the salad and beans we had along with it (Fun fact: I can confidently say that many of the people here are NOT tired of having rice and beans for every meal! The way they are cooked are really good!)

The time after lunch was spent cleaning up the church by scraping excess paint, dusting,
sweeping, and mopping. During that time, I also got to play with Mercedes’ granddaughters Kira, Bianca, and Alana, and I can confidently say that I lost the tickle battle, and I may have given them a little too much candy��. I had to say goodbye to the girls today because this was the last time I would be seeing them, and it was met with many hugs and a bit of sadness, but it was so awesome to meet and get to know those amazing kiddos!

When we finally finished and achieved our goal of what the church should look like, we took the
time to feel the accomplishment of finishing the job, and we took pictures with the workers of the site! Everyone was excited about the job well done and to see how much a little over a week of work could help change others’ life for the better!

Today was very eventful because it just so happens to be the last day of cold showers because
tomorrow we will be sleeping in a San Jose hotel! I am going to go enjoy free time now with friends
because we only have so much time left! This trip has been so amazing, and mi familia, I cannot wait to see all of you! I love y’all!!

Love,
Helen Kalleb