Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Anna Victoria Lavelle

Hi Family and Friends!!
I hope y’all are all doing really well! This past week has truly been an amazing experience, and I
can’t wait for what’s to come! We got to sleep in today until 6:30 which was a nice change. We got to go to mass at the cathedral, and the architecture was really beautiful. It was super airy because the back and side doors were open throughout the whole mass. Afterwards, we ate homemade tamales in the plaza outside the church. Then, we boarded the buses to head to the nature preserve. We hiked and hiked and hiked through pretty much a jungle. The path was really narrow and steep. We even had to cross a small waterfall. We planted trees at the end of our hike, and as a mission trip are making a donation to the nature preserve and adopting a tree. The hike was brutal and what I thought would be my clean pair of clothes are covered in dirt. Luckily, no one took any bad falls, but Ethan, Logan, Catherine, and I slipped a bit on the way back down. We ate a delicious lunch of rice and beans at the nature preserve and then got the opportunity to shop around at the pop-up shops there. I bought two bracelets, but others bought ornaments, earrings, and key chains. Although the hike was definitely challenging, it was a great experience for all of us, and we learned a lot about each other and our lives.

We drove back to our retreat center, took much needed showers, and then got the opportunity
to hear Brother Francis speak. He gave a great talk about why he became a monk, our relationships with Christ, and how taking this mission trip can help form us into loving, caring, and compassionate young adults. Before dinner, Mallory, Catherine, and I stood outside the chapel to see the beautiful purple, blue, pink, and orange sunset. I’ve truly never seen anything like it, and the beauty of this country never fails to amaze me. We’re currently enjoying some free time before we all gather together for circle time.

Now for a big shoutout to my dad on Father’s Day. I hope you had an amazing day, and I’m
giving you the biggest hug all the way from Costa Rica. I’m incredibly thankful for everything you and Mom do for me, and I would not be writing to y’all from Costa Rica if it wasn’t for you guys. I’m so excited to celebrate with you when I’m back!
I miss everyone back home a ton, and I although I’ll be sad to leave, I’m so excited to see
everyone soon!

Love,
Anna Victoria Lavelle