Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Caroline Pfaffenberger

Hello everyone!
I was placed at the Quebradas worksite this week, and my group had an incredible time. Today was a
particularly great day because we officially completed all the tasks assigned to us from this week. The tasks we were asked to complete this week are as follows: rearranging the plants on the outside of the church, pulling the grass to replace the plants, sanding the walls and fences around and inside the church, and painting the walls, columns, and fences around and inside the church. We worked so hard from day one as a group, and we were filled with happiness when we heard that we had completed all the tasks that were on our list.

Today, we also gave our crosses away to the people at our worksite. I wish to recognize the boy I gave my cross to and explain why I gave it to him. I gave mine to a 6-year-old boy named Pablo. When I met him at first, he was sitting outside of his house, which is next door to the church and he was looking at our group with confusion and interest as we walked off of our bus the first day. I walked up to him on day two and started to speak with him, not expecting his welcoming and fun attitude. I kept going back for a few days to talk to him, but a small yet powerful thing happened about 2-3 days ago that made me decide that I wanted to give my cross to him. While a large group of us were painting the church fence right next to Pablo’s house, I went over to him, and he immediately pointed at my left arm. I was confused at first, but then I looked down at my arm and realized what he was pointing at. I had painted one side of the wooden cross white and placed it on my forearm to make a paint tattoo earlier on in the day. When he pointed to my arm he said, “Yo quiero eso en mi brazo” which translates to “I want that on my arm.” I went over to the paint, repainted the cross, and then I placed it on his arm. He was overjoyed at the fact that he had a cross on his arm. I knew that if he wanted that temporary cross so bad, he would want a permanent cross around his neck as a reminder that Jesus is with him at all times. It was also a reminder that I would never forget him and that I would always be praying for him. Today was a very memorable day for me, and I am sure that I will never forget it.

Caroline Pfaffenberger