Saturday, June 18, 2016

Megan D.

This post was written on June 15.

Dear family and friends,

 It is Wednesday, and it was the third day of working at our sites. I have made friends with people from other schools, one of which is my roommate- Andrea from UA. The food, luckily, has not been strictly rice and beansJ. This whole trip, so far, has been extremely eye opening and influential. The first few days we went out into the community and got to know the community members and their families. Some of these people have come out and helped us work at the sites, which is very helpful.

 On the first day of work, I was complaining to myself about how my hands hurt from cutting wire, how my back was sore from sifting gravel and digging, and how when I was on the see-saw with the children, it was basically leg day because I weighed more than them. But I looked down at the gravel and saw all the little particles and how they are all different, and I realized that what we do at this school for the teachers and children doesn’t do much for the world, but it means the world to them.  So this gave me the motivation to keep going and push through the temporary pain of what we were doing.

 Lastly, I received all the letters from all of you, and could not hold back my tears.  They were full of love and support, I just wanted to thank you all.  I miss all of you and look forward to seeing y’all soon.