Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Joseph B. (Diría)

 It is hard to believe that we have already passed the halfway point of the trip. It has flown by so quickly. Last night, a violent storm hit where our group stays, and I heard the loudest claps of thunder ever! But everything turned out just fine, and we were all safe. Today, my group went out into the rural community and spread the word about Mass at the central
chapel place. While our guide spread the message about the Masses, he also tried to fix a widow’s television. The doctor in our group also assisted the people in any way she could, particularly by looking at many children’s sore throats. I am constantly surprised by all the animals and different plants that the locals have at their homes. I have never seen anything like it. Once we returned to the chapel, or main meeting place of the rural community, we had yet another delicious, fresh meal. Then we prepared for Mass and had a great turn out. It made my heart melt when a drunken man we visited earlier in the week showed up to Mass. Not only that, but a “grumpy old man” that my group visited the first day showed up as well. It was such a great feeling to see our work pay off. Following the Mass, I gave our tour guide from the first day, Uriel, a sixteen year old boy, my missionary cross and a few medals and rosaries that I brought from home. The connection I have made with him is so special, and I look forward to what our last few days have in store!