Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Brandon Z. (Tepeyac)

Today is day 6 and the hard work is just beginning. It was our second day at our work site, Juan Diego School. Our main job is to build a new class room for the Kindergarteners which consists of digging trenches for foundation and sifting through dirt to get finer dirt for cement. The hot sun is definitely taking a toll on the missionaries, myself included. As we started the manual labor part of the mission it makes me miss the walks around the country side where we were often welcomed into the houses of the locals instead of sweating like a pig in the sun. We started off our trip doing census work where I somewhat acted as a translator with my broken Spanish. As the time has gone on, the Spanish is getting easier and easier. A note about Nicaragua is that it get bright here about 5 in the morning which completely throws me off. It will be 10 in the morning and it feels like it’s about 4 in the afternoon. While I’ve been here I received some sad news back home and my fellow missionaries and chaperones have made the load easier to bear. I have people that I did not know a week ago and I can tell them things that I wouldn’t tell me friends back home. This attests to the type of people that we are and our values. I couldn’t imagine being here with any other group of people, they are all truly amazing!

One last note I want to say hi to mom, dad, and Andrew! The food here has actually been pretty good but I still want my Whataburger when I get home! Love you all and will see you soon!