Saturday, June 11, 2016

Day Two - Ann P. (Tepeyac)

 As day two began, I went into it the same way we’ve been going into every day- clueless. By saying clueless I don’t mean that it was disorganized and chaotic, but more so everything came as a surprise so we were forced to live in the present and embrace each moment. Though I prefer to be in control and enjoy organizing everything on my own, it was an oddly peaceful experience.
Throughout today and the previous day, we made a trek around the community to meet the families and take a census for Sister Liz who would later use the information to orchestrate local activities. We encountered many kind souls and several insects too. Although this was exciting, my favorite part of today was definitely celebrating Mass with our friends from Didya and the local Tepeyac community.
I knew it was going to be a Spanish Mass, but I didn’t realize how much Spanish I could actually comprehend. I must admit that I could not translate each individual word, yet I knew exactly what was happening at each part. My parents know how much I love talking about the Eucharist and the Catholic social teaching of solidarity (considering I did draft an entire college essay on it), but just when I thought I couldn’t love it any more, Jesus proved me wrong (as he often does). It was truly a beautiful experience to witness people all across the globe celebrating Mass in the same order as us and consuming the same body of Christ as us. By being forced to focus only on the present, I was able to see the Universal Church fully present in that Mass. I remember always learning that catholic means universal, but I never really understood it until this moment.
As I eventually come home, I want to take this experience with me by being more open and joyful towards our family trips to India. In previous years when we visited relatives in India, I was always closed off to Mass because it bored me since I had no clue what they were saying, nor did I put in effort to participate. Each day here has reaffirmed me that when we take the slightest moment to be still in the presence of God, He rewards us tenfold.
For these unpredictable days and relaxing instances of being wrapped in the Lord’s sweet love, I am ever grateful.

P.S. Mom, Dad, Breigh, and Casie- I’m praying for y’all and miss and love you!