Monday, June 13, 2016

Kate W. (Diría)



               
Students take a break to enjoy time on a playground at a local school.
We originally thought our call on this trip was going to be to help the community in a physical way. We expected to work, build, and have a tangible result at the end of our time here, but God had other plans. We found out today that our original plan, to construct a chapel, was put on hold. We were instead asked to use the rest of our time in Nicaragua to interact with the people in our community in an exchange of culture and of faith. I was lucky enough to be able to help the women who were preparing our lunch.  We peeled, cut, and juiced cantaloupes and oranges for a drink and learned their technique for making rice. During this time we not only got to learn cooking tips, but got to converse with these women and learn more about their lives as well. The rest of the day was dedicated to playing with the children. Let me tell you, I have never encountered a more joyful group of humans in my entire life. Their favorite game is to jump on someone’s back and have them race around like a horse. It can be tiring, but it is oh so rewarding. There was one little girl in particular who I built a special bond with. My favorite moment of the day with her was during mass where she spent the entire time with her arms around my neck, asking me to explain what was going on whenever Father Augustine spoke in English. I never thought I would feel so useful doing nothing but talking and playing all day, but spending time with these people, sharing experiences and sharing our faith has opened my eyes to the importance and the personal growth that can come from building relationships with people all around the world.