Saturday, June 18, 2016

Elizabeth R.

This post was written on June 16.

Hello to everyone reading back home! I hope you all are well. This trip has truly been amazing. I’ve seen so many new things, and met so many new people. I did end up at Tepeyac, and I have helped conduct a census and start the foundation for a kindergarten classroom they’re building, so I’ve talked to many members of the community. It’s been a lot of hard work, and a lot of walking, but I always come back feeling satisfied with what I’ve done that day. The people here are unbelievable. They’re so nice and so willing to give what little they have to you. We’ve been given so many mangoes and avocadoes from them. The little kids at the school are so sweet. I’ve played with so many of them, and even helped teach them some English. We got these cross necklaces, and at the end of the trip, we will have the opportunity to give it to someone who we feel we have formed a special relationship with. I think I’m going to give mine to one of the little girls I’ve met at the school. Contrary to what we were told, we have actually had other things to eat besides rice and beans, like pancakes or eggs, so that’s been nice. I’ve made a lot of new friends, and I hope to continue these friendships far beyond this trip. I’ve grown in so many ways that I never expected to. It’s hard to believe we only have three days left before we go home. But until then, I will cherish every moment that I will experience.